Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Chili Cookoff

I always look forward to inviting people over for Chili night! I LOVE my family's chili recipe and love sharing it with friends and family. I thought maybe it would be fun to have our own little Chili Cookoff Contest here in Maple Grove! We could do it over at the clubhouse and the rules would be simple:

1. Everyone participating would have to use a favorite chili recipe (any variation is welcome).
2. Fresh ingredients only for the making of the chili (sounds obvious, but trust me on this one).
3. All contestants are required to have a temperature check before the sampling begins (to eliminate food poisoning possibilites).
4. All chili must be kept in a crockpot or other item that electrically keeps foods warm.
5. The chili cannot come out of a can...it has to be homemade.
6. Contestants can also provide freetos, corn bread, cheese, saltines, sour cream, cilantro, or whatever else it takes to make your chili taste the absolute best!

During the allotted time, everyone circulates and samples the different kinds of chilis'. Everyone then casts a vote for whos chili is the best and for what reasons. At the end, the votes are counted and someone will win the title of having the "Best Darn Chili in Maple Grove." Everyone participating will have recipe cards typed up, printed out, and available for others to take and make at home.
I will provide little cups and spoons for sampling and drinks to cool off your mouth. You can make it as spicy or mild as you want, but you have to post a sign warning people if your chili is really spicy!

If you would like to participate, or know someone who would, send me a message, or send them a link to my blog so they can read the rules. I think it would be a fun way to get together and eat some good homemade food.

If enough people want to do it, I will probably reserve the clubhouse for a weekend day the beginning of October. We could even put football on the T.V. so the "men" would have something to watch while the "women" chat (what we do best). Chili is a great way to kick off fall and football season, so please join me if you are interested.

5 comments:

Elise said...

Great idea Jill. I would definitely be willing to participate!

Megan and Shawn said...

Jill - hey I'm so sorry to about you miscarriage. It is such a difficult experience and no words seem to really help console you - just wanted to let you know we're thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Man where have I been... I honestly had to read like 6 posts... woW! Okay, I am so sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I definitely know from experience that these things happen for reasons not known to us. I know everything will work out. You are great Jill and I am so thrilled for you to be a teacher. How fun! You will be great at it. If you want to spend some of your cash let's go shopping sometime!! Talk to you soon.

Jessica Sumner said...

If i lived near you i would definitely be doing this chili cookoff! how fun! So i dropped Jayden off at school this morning and everytime i go into the school it makes me want to be an elementary teacher. the kindergarteners are soooo cute! i am sure you will have a blast teaching them. (if they don't drive you crazy first) lol

mountainmama said...

Aw, Jill! I wished we lived near you!!!! I want to be in a chili cook-off! Dylan said you should call yours Jilly's chili... I don't know...